Thousands of people read our Medium publication. Here’s how to submit posts, and what we look for in posts that we ultimately publish.
- Create a Medium account
- Add a headshot and bio
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request to become a writer for our publication
- Start submitting posts to us for us to review and potentially publish
- Read through articles that have already been published on our publication and write about things we haven’t covered yet.
- Autobiographical posts need a unique perspective or a non-obvious takeaway.
- Technical articles are welcome, and should be written so that most people who have only been coding for a year can still understand them
- Humorous posts do quite well with our community, and even serious articles can be lightened up with humor
- 7 minutes is technically the optimal post length, but don’t dilute your content to reach that length
- Keep your tone positive, and keep any criticism you may have metered and objective
- Good writing takes time. A 7-minute medium post takes me (Quincy Larson) around 4 - 6 hours
- Feature a large, exciting image at the top of the page
- Break up text with good, relevant images throughout
- Break points down and use headlines and sub headlines where necessary
- Avoid the “wall of text” affect by keeping paragraphs between 1 - 4 sentences
- Use exclamation points and ellipsis sparingly
- Avoid profanity and any statements that Lisa (the character from The Simpsons) would find offensive
- Avoid using more than one conjunction in a sentence
- Re-read your post to make sure there aren’t any obvious typos
Our goal is to publish as many camper submissions as possible while maintaining a baseline level of quality.
We get a lot of submissions. Please don’t take offense if we don’t publish your submission immediately. Instead, message @QuincyLarson in Gitter and I can give you the status of your submission and quick feedback.
Happy writing and coding!